Friday 21 February 2014

Huge Amazing Unity Terrain Tutorial


"Shastia, Zdorovia"
 me

DOWNLOAD UNITY 3D ASSETS

DOWNLOAD GEOCONTOL 2 ASSETS


Beceuse I'am lazy oop c# coder in fact you need to read previous tutorials:

Terrains described above is not big enough. 5km x 5km = 25 sq. km. is not enough for cool alpine view. Thats why I have desiced to discover seamless terrain generation option in Geocontrol. Simply check it.


Click Generate and in couple of minutes depending on power of your CPU you will get awesome fractal picture that was tiled at my first look:


I will never get it but in GeoControl terrains is always looks cooler than in any 3D soft that use it. Maybe sweet home.

Anyway we need a color map for texturing please read how to make it in texturing tutorial above.

Important:

ROTATE COLORMAP picture by 90 degree COUNTER CLOCKWISE

NOW the most tricky part of tutorial:
Create 3 additional raw copies of heighmap and colormap. Rotate them clockwise, counterclockwise, and twice counterclockwise to get this

We did this copies bacause Unity doesn't support rotation of terrains. Otherwise tutorial can be much shorter :) But anyway I think it for good optimisation of rendering:




now create 4 DIFFERENT terrains in Unity and apply texturing with my script that available in Unity menu. Also you can read about it more in texturing tutorial. Dont create copies of terrain because they share same terrain asset and when you change somethin in one all 4 will be affected. Now you can combine that 4 terrain in tile and make as big terrain as you want. I did 400 sq km then my PC getting run slowly so I stopped.

konstantin dvornik

No comments:

Post a Comment